Sunday 7 June 2020

Creating My Own US ETFs Portfolio

Hello everyone,

Hope everyone is adapting well to the post-circuit breaker life. Since circuit breaker, I have been looking at starting a portfolio that consist of a few US ETFs and to dollar-cost average into the portfolio either every month or every quarter (still thinking about it)...

I have finally selected the ETFs that I want included in my portfolio and have also invested in them. As much as possible, I try to allocate the amount equally. I will briefly share the 5 ETFs that I have selected. 

1. Vanguard S&P 500 ETF (NYSE:VOO)
This ETF attempts to replicate the S&P 500 index. Similar to Singapore's Straits Times Index, buying one of this is akin to buying the US stock market. Hence, I decided to include this into my portfolio as I attempt to ride the recovery wave up post-pandemic.

2. Vanguard Health Care Index Fund (NYSE:VHT)

I believe healthcare sector would be greatly review as the world recover from the pandemic. Furthermore, healthcare is also an indispensable sector, hence similar to the XLP.  


3. Consumer Staples Select Sector SPDR (NYSE:XLP)

Diversification using this ETF ensures that a certain portion of this portfolio can continue to perform in a recession as the make up of this ETF are mostly companies from the consumer defensive industries.


4. Technology Select Sector SPDR (NYSE:XLK)

This ETF grants me a heavier exposure to the technology sector. I believe the technology industry will see a faster growth in the coming years as we are now 'forced' to get used to digitalisation.


5. ARK Innovation ETF (NYSE:ARKK)

The last ETF is ARKK. As I am still young and with little to no debts or loans to pay, I am able to take on a little more risk and hence I wanted to put more focus on the growth stocks, especially in the technology innovation sector. ARKK consists of companies that deals with innovation across all sectors, from healthcare to consumer defence. 



With that, I seek to achieve a more holistic diversification in this portfolio. I also did went through the ETFs carefully as well as looking at the annualised returns across various time periods (you can do this easily by just googling the ETF).

I will be tracking the performance of this portfolio as well as updates on any new additions on the blog, perhaps on a monthly basis. Details of my purchases (in USD):

                                                    
ETFCostQuantityCommissionTotal Cost
VOO280.0011281.00
VHT194.0011195.00
XLP59.5441239.16
XLK97.5021196.00
ARKK66.0931199.27
Total697.131110.4


Stay safe and healthy,
O

2 comments:

  1. How to get commission usd1?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, we use the Interactive Broker trading platform to get $1 USD commission for our trades!

      Delete