Saturday 15 August 2020

Best Credit Cards Available for Students!

 What's up guys, its been a while since I've updated on this platform, and I hope all of you have been doing well! I have been caught up with matriculation/academic matters, hence my inactivity on this platform for the past two weeks. I have been drowning in lectures and readings, and it's just the first week of uni...

But enough of the life updates from me. Since I've finally enrolled into University, I have been scouring around for credit cards available to students, and I have found two that I am planning to apply for.

I think credit cards are a good way for us to spend money, assuming the payment due are repaid on time such that there is no late interest payment. This allows us to gain an extra month of interest with the money in our account. This is especially advantageous if your cash are parked in a high-yield account. Allow me to introduce them to you and why I decided to get them.

Maybank eVibes Card

Eligibility:

Full-time National Servicemen (NSF) or Tertiary students from these institutions: LASALLE, NAFA, NIE, NP, NTU, NUS, NYP, RP, SIT, SMU, SP, SUSS, SUTD & TP

Age: 18 - 30

Annual Income: Must not exceed S$30, 000

Must not be an existing Maybank Principal Credit Cardmember or CreditAble customer

Singapore Citizens or Singapore Permanent Residents

Benefits:

1% cash rebates on all spending

Up to 8% off accommodation bookings worldwide with AGODA(till 31 December 2020)

Review:

I decided to apply for this card as it had the highest cash rebate, at 1%, among all the other student credit cards out there, with seemingly the least restrictions on the type of spending. The 8% off accommodation with AGODA is a sweet bonus as well, but I personally don't see international travel making a comeback before the end of this year , so it may be less applicable. But the 1% cash rebate makes this one of the most attractive student credit card out there, and by itself is more than enough to convince me to get this card.

DBS Live Fresh Student Card

Eligibility:

An Undergraduate student from these institutions: NUS, NTU, SMU, SUTD, SUSS, SIT, Nanyang Polytechnic, Ngee Ann Polytechnic, Temasek Polytechnic, Singapore Polytechnic or Republic Polytechnic

Age: 18 - 27

Not have an existing DBS/POSB Credit Card and/or other unsecured facilities with DBS/POSB

Be a Singapore Citizen/Permanent Resident


Benefits:

5% cashback for spending at Golden Village, McDonald's, McDelivery, Netflix, Spotify and Starbucks (capped at $15)
0.3% cashback on 'All Spend' (capped at $20)

Review:

DBS's Live Fresh Student Card is also one of my two picks, due to it's attractive 5% cashback. Personally, I am subscribed to Netflix and Spotify monthly, and I frequent McDonalds as well, hence I was really attracted when I saw the rates offered by this card! I honestly think this card has been well-designed to target the youths in Singapore, with the shops well curated to target most spendngs by Singaporean youths. However, since the 0.3% cashback on other spending may seem measly, I believe this card is best used in tandem with other student credit cards!



Personally, I have not yet have the chance to use any of these cards, thus my review up till now is solely based on what I've read from their websites. I might do another review of these cards somewhere down the road, after perhaps a few months of usage. Till then, I encourage you to explore other cards and head down to their respective websites to get a clearer understanding of the benefits they present and their terms & conditions, before applying for any of these cards.

Stay Safe,
T

No comments:

Post a Comment